Non-dairy protein powders are still struggling to shed the negative perception that they taste terrible. Many people still believe they simply wouldn’t be able to stomach them.
Well, the truth is that in their natural form, they do have a gritty texture and earthy taste. However, many manufacturers have gone out of their way to add flavors which make them taste better and thus easier to consume.
We have compiled a list of 7 best tasting non-dairy protein powders. This should not only help you settle on a brand for yourself but also convince you that there are more than a few great options out there.
We understand that taste is subjective but we recommend the KOS Organic Protein Powder because it has 5 different protein sources and it tastes great.
Benefits of tasty non-dairy Protein Powders
Let’s face it. As healthy as non-dairy protein powders are, the truth is that they don’t taste great. For many people the only reason you are able to down that protein shake is the thought of all the goodness your body is going to get out of it.
Adding pleasant tasting ingredients to non-dairy protein powders simply helps to make the experience a more pleasant one. You don’t have to dread it. That tortured grimace on your face every time you empty your shaker bottle can be a thing of the past.
With the taste issue taken care of, you can enjoy all the benefits of non-dairy protein powders.
Reduced Digestive Problems
Dairy based protein powders like whey and casein can cause digestive problems. It is possible to be sensitive to lactose even if you are not completely intolerant. This is why so many people starting out with dairy based protein powders say they feel gassy or bloated after drinking a shake.
Considering that some athletes who take protein shakes drink a glassful up to 4 times a day, digestive distress can be stressful. As soon as the discomfort starts to clear, it is time for another glass.
You never have to deal with this with non-dairy protein powders.
It Is Packed with Nutrients
Dairy based protein powders are great but the variety of nutrients you get from non-dairy powders is much wider. There are lots of vitamins and minerals you can’t get from dairy products. Even in cases where you can get some of these vitamins from dairy products, the amounts are smaller.
Then there is also antioxidants which plant sources are rich in.
Rich in fiber
Fiber is the part of plant-based foods which cannot be broken down by digestion. This is how it makes you feel full and adds bulk which then helps to ease bowel movements. It also helps to flush out cholesterol.
The point to note here is that there are 2 types of fiber. Soluble and insoluble fiber. It is soluble fiber which keeps us feeling full after a meal. Insoluble fiber adds the bulk.
Protein – rich plants contain large amounts of both types of fiber. Dairy products contain none. It then follows that non-dairy protein powders will keep you feeling full for longer and ensure you don’t suffer from constipation.
Good for weight loss
Protein powders are generally associated with muscle gain so it may seem strange that they can help in weight loss efforts. They are an integral part of weight loss.
The first reason for this is because proteins helps to boost metabolism. Protein digestion speeds up the process. It is also true that digesting them takes more calories than digesting carbohydrates.
The second reason has to do with the previously mentioned fiber. You tend to eat less when you are filled with plant proteins because their fiber content keeps you full for longer.
7 best tasting non-dairy protein powders – A comparison table
7 Best Tasting Non-Dairy Protein Powders
You have 5 sources of plant protein in this gluten free product. There is pea protein, quinoa, pumpkin seed, flax seed and chia seed.
KOS plant-based protein powder is best known for its chocolate flavor bit is also available in chocolate peanut butter. These rich flavors come from infused organic Peruvian cacao and peanut flour.
The result is a mildly sweet drink with a tinge of salt. Ingredients responsible for this are Himalayan salt and small amounts of stevia and monk fruit.
It mixes well whether you are using water or another beverage such as nut milk. You still get that milk-like thickness because it also has coconut monk powder.
Many people opt for plant based protein powders like this to avoid digestion problems caused by dairy based powders. To further deal with such discomfort, this powder is enhanced with DigeSEB, a proprietary digestive enzyme blend. It aids digestion and ensure efficient absorption of nutrients.
You need 2 scoops in an average-sized glass of water to get a thick tasty shake. Alternatively, mix it into your morning smoothie or midday snack.
The serving size is 2 scoops which are equivalent to 39 grams. It is fairly high on calories with 170 calories per serving.
- Enhanced with digestive enzyme blend
- Mixes well
- Contains coconut milk powder
- Gluten free
- High in calories
- Amazing Flavor: Infused with organic Peruvian cacao, Himalayan salt, organic coconut milk, a dash of stevia & monk fruit, our award-winning protein blend is simply...
- Weight Management: Great protein powder for weight loss. The soluble fiber in plant protein gives you that “full” feeling for a longer period of time. You eat...
- Complete Protein: Our USDA Organic vegan protein powder has a 5 protein blend of Pea, Flax Seed, Quinoa, Pumpkin Seed & Chia Seed + essential vitamins & minerals....
- Digestion Support: Enhanced with powerful digestion support by DigeSEB, a proprietary digestive enzyme blend. DigeSEB aids digestion & helps the body maximize...
Protein in this plant-based powder is from 3 sources, that is pea, chia and brown rice. It is USDA certified as an organic product.
There are no added sugars though stevia is used to sweeten it. Sea salt provides the salty taste you pick in the drink.
If you have gluten sensitivities, this is a good option because it is gluten free and is available in vanilla and chocolate flavors. There is an unflavored version for anyone who prefers to keep it completely natural.
Mix it with water or milk for a quick and healthy shake. On those very busy days, it works well as a meal replacement because it is so nutrient dense and leaves you feeling full. It also works well as an energy boost after an intense workout when your stomach is not ready for a heavy meal.
One figure worth noting in the nutrition facts listing is the 15 grams (5%) net carbohydrate content. This is relatively low. If you are looking to keep your carb intake as low as possible, this is a good option considering protein content.
One serving with 2 scoops of the power gives you 46 grams of protein and has 150 calories.
If you like strong flavoring, this one may be too light for you. I tried vanilla but could barely pick it in the drink.
- No added sugar and gluten free
- Low carbohydrate content
- Light flavor
- Includes 1 (2.03 pound) orgain organic plant based vanilla bean protein powder
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 5 grams of organic dietary fiber, 5 grams of net carbs, 0 grams of sugar, 150 calories per...
- USDA organic, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, low net carbs, no added sugar, soy free, kosher, non GMO, carrageenan free, and no artificial ingredients
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking grams to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or...
This protein powder is ideal after an intense morning workout. That’s when you need an energy boost and a shot of good old caffeine in your system.
Vega has more than a few other powders but this one is a favorite. The primary ingredient is pea protein. That rich coffee flavor comes from expresso powder, cold brew coffee powder and coffee fruit extract. It contains about 100 mg of coffee which is equivalent to a small cup of coffee. That means you get your healthy protein drink and much needed cup of coffee all rolled up into one.
There is some cocoa powder for a light chocolate taste.
A unique ingredient is MCT oil. This oil, often used as a supplement has several benefits. Energy boosting is one of the main ones and likely the reason it is included in this powder. Stevia leaf extract, a non-nutritive, natural sweetener is also included.
Unlike some protein powders which pride themselves in close to zero fat content, this one has 5 grams of it. The intention is to provide a steady flow of energy for a user stepping out of an intense workout.
The MCT oil and protein combine well to give you a smooth textured drink. You can make it with water for a quick on-the-go boost. Alternatively mix it with a non-dairy milk like almond or coconut milk for a more filling snack.
The serving size is 35 grams (one scoop) but if you are using protein powders for the first time, start by using a quarter scoop. You may need to adjust to the combination of coffee and MCT oil.
- Protein plus energy helps you stay focused and sustained through your long meeting as a midday snack or tough workout as a delicious pre-workout drink
- 20 Grams of plant based protein from pea protein powder
- Helps you stay focused and alert with 100mg of caffeine from organic coffee fruit, about the same as a cup of coffee, plus 3 grams of MCT Oil from coconut to...
- Keto-friendly protein powder has 0 added sugar, 160 calories and only 4 grams net carbs Gluten free, vegetarian, lactose free, dairy free, soy free and non whey Not...
This plant-based protein powder is made using USA grown peas and brown rice. It also contains raw organic sprouted grains like buckwheat, millet and amaranth. You also get a small serving of vitamins A, D, E and K. Probiotics and enzymes are used to ease digestion.
4 grams of BCAAs further add to nutritional value.
It contains no added sugar and is gluten free as well as soy free. No GMO ingredients are used.
The characteristic earthy taste of plant-based protein powders is removed by vanilla flavoring. Vanilla is a common flavor in these powders and many of them tend to taste quite artificial. This one manages to give you a more natural vanilla taste.
Apart from this vanilla flavored one, you can get Garden of Life protein powder in chocolate flavor and vanilla chai.
You could choose to buy the 620 gram tub. If you like to have the powder in individual, small portions, it is available in 33 gram packets.
It works best for post-workout drinks for faster recovery of muscles. I have tried it with berries, bananas and avocado. It gives you a thick blend to which additional natural flavoring can be added. Try it with cinnamon. The vanilla and cinnamon give you an exceptional combination. You almost lose that earthy taste completely.
One serving (one scoop) contains 31 grams of protein and has 110 calories. The total fat content is 2.5 grams which is not too much to handle even when you are looking to lose weight.
- Has sprout grains
- Includes probiotics
- Natural vanilla taste
- Has BCAAs
- Made in US
- High protein: 22 grams of complete, sugar free plant protein from USA grown peas and 13 Raw organic sprouts
- Post workout recovery: Help your muscles recover with a clean nutritional shake and get back in the gym faster
- Vitamins and minerals: This delicious vanilla protein powder includes fat soluble Raw food created vitamins A, D, E and K
Plant Fusion protein powder really does live true to its name. It fuses several plants. The primary ones being protein-rich ones such as pea, artichokes and algae. Also on the list of ingredients are organic amaranth powder, organic quinoa powder and fruit extract powder. Stevia extract powder acts as a natural sweetener.
Amino acids are infused to make it even richer and the result is a plant-based powder which is almost as rich as animal proteins like whey.
Like many other plant-based protein powders it is gluten free, soy free and is non-GMO.
It is fortified with digestive enzymes which make the protein easier to digest and thus prevent bloat and gassy feelings.
Our favorite flavor from Plant Fusion is their cookies and cream powder. It has a sweet milk chocolate taste. Other flavors available are chocolate, vanilla and red velvet. There is an unflavored version for you if you prefer to have it taste as natural as it comes.
One serving gives you 30 grams of protein and comes with 120 calories. The 2-pound tub holds 30 servings.
- NO CHEAP FILLERS! – Certified Non-GMO, Gluten Free and Vegan-friendly protein powder that you can feel good about. As part of our Purity Promise we are also...
- SUSTAINS ENERGY – Our naturally flavored cookies and cream protein powder for men and women is packed with 21g of plant-based proteins including peas, artichokes,...
- BUILDS & REPAIRS MUSCLE – Amino acid infused protein blend for complete balance. The only plant protein powder that compares to animal proteins like whey.
- EASY TO DIGEST – Fortified with digestive enzymes, dairy free, soy free, gluten free, and free of many other major allergens.
It is always interesting to find the connection between a product’s name and its key characteristics. In this case the protein powder is indeed lean. It has few ingredients and minimal processing is done.
It is made from pea protein using European golden peas sourced from France.
One of its most outstanding features is that it contains all essential amino acids, making it comparable to soy.
There is always a need to sweeten these powders. In most cases, manufacturers use stevia. This product makes it clear that they are all about protein. It is sweetened using a protein. That is West African katemfe fruit and not stevia.
It is also rich in iron and is impressively low in carbohydrates. There are less than 2 grams of carbohydrates in each serving. About half of that is dietary fiber so there is less than a gram of carbohydrate in a single serving.
It has no gluten, soy or lectin. No GMO ingredients are used.
In terms of flavor options, this product gives you a range of 7 to choose from. These include the more common vanilla, strawberry and chocolate as well as unique combinations like coconut coffee (with MCTs) and chai turmeric maca. There is an unflavored one for those who want a completely natural product. Since the product is already quite lean by way of ingredients, choosing the unflavored option means your protein powder has only one ingredient… 100 percent pure pea isolate.
- Contains all essential amino acids
- Protein based, natural sweetener
- Low in carbohydrates
- Wide variety of flavors
- PREMIUM PLANT PROTEIN: Clean Lean Protein is not just any protein; it comes from the highest quality European Golden peas grown in France.
- SMOOTH & DELICIOUS: Not chalky, gritty, or pea-y. Our protein is smooth, mild, and delicious. Plus, it contains no sugar, stevia, or artificial sweeteners.
- LOW CARB & HIGH PROTEIN: With 20 grams of protein per 25-gram serving, less than 2 grams of carbs, and only 90 calories, our protein is one of the leanest and most...
- MADE FOR YOU: No matter if you are vegan, vegetarian, or follow a gluten-free, or ketogenic diet, or omnivorous diet, our plant-based protein is easy to digest and...
This protein powder is wholly plant based but there is a slight difference between it and other plant-based powders. Its protein comes from pea, hemp and like few other products, one of its protein sources is a fruit. That is goji berry. This berry is different from other berries because it is rich in protein. You get 11 grams of protein from 100 grams of goji berry. Compare that to 1 gram of protein in 100 grams of raspberries or blueberries.
Whole ground coconut brings with it MCTs which help to boost energy after a workout. Stevia is used as a natural sweetener.
Another point to note about this powder is its iron content. It gives you 30% of your daily requirement which is quite high for a plant-based product. This is especially good for vegans because they sometimes struggle to meet iron requirement in the absence of animal protein in their diet.
It is gluten free, soy free, has no artificial sugars and no GMO ingredients. USDA certification confirms that it is completely organic.
One serving consists of 1 scoop of powder which contains 25 grams of protein. There are 100 calories in a single serving.
You can get it in vanilla or chocolate flavor.
- No sugar added
- Has MCTs for energy
- Rich amino acid profile
- Rich in iron
- Flavor is mild
- Warrior blend by Sunwarrior nutritional supplements brings you the perfect combination for a plant based protein powder. With a mixture of pea protein, super...
- Contains electrolytes to keep your body fit and functioning at a peak performance; Promotes lean muscle growth, a boost in metabolic rates, and optimum recovery of...
- This completely raw organic pea protein powder is keto-friendly, low-carb, high-protein, non-GMO, certified organic and vegan; Free of soy, dairy, sugar, and gluten....
- Mix this powdered superfood in your favorite shaker bottle or make a delicious smoothie for the perfect pre- or post-workout drink with 28-grams of protein per...
Factors to Consider When Buying Tasty Non-Dairy Protein Powders
Once you have established it tastes good, there are a few other factors to think about.
The most common supplements in protein powders are BCAAs. You have probably seen these abbreviations on the protein powder tub but never known what they mean. They stand for branched-chain amino acids (BCAA).
You see there are 20 different amino acids which create the thousands of proteins in your body. Out of these, 9 are essential. They are referred to as essential because they cannot be produced by the body and must therefore be obtained from food.
BCAAs are a group of 3 essential amino acids isoleucine, leucine and valine.
They are often used as supplements in protein powders intended for fitness for their ability to build muscle, reduce muscle fatigue and relieve muscle soreness.
These and other benefits of BCAAs in a protein powder will do you well.
If it is not soy, look for blends
Again, we make reference to the 9 essential amino acids which your body cannot produce. Out of all plant protein sources which are used to make your protein shake, only one plant contains all 9 of them. That is soy. All other plant proteins are missing at least one of them.
When you go out shopping for a tasty non-dairy protein powder, look for blends of two or more plant protein sources. It could be peanut and pea, pumpkin seed and quinoa or whatever you fancy. As long as the combination gets you all 9 essential amino acids or at least gets you close to all 9.
Protein content, calories and protein to calorie ratio
It is one thing to note the protein content of you powder and another to take note of the number of calories you consume in one serving.
There is a further element to consider especially if you are using the powder for fitness purposes or looking shed a few pounds.
It is the protein to calorie ratio. It involves some light calculation. You simply divide protein content (per serving) in grams by the number of calories, also per serving. The higher the ratio, the better. It means the powder gives you more protein per calorie. This means you feel full for longer with fewer calories to burn.
Although it serves as a good guide towards weight loss, it shouldn’t be cast in stone. Sometimes lower ratios are beneficial. In the case of legumes like peas and beans for instance. These may give you a lower protein to calorie ratio because they have a higher calorie content. More calories are attributed to carbohydrates and fiber which are also important in your diet.
If you have always avoided plant-based protein powders because you though they tasted awful, that has changed. With the advent of flavored non-dairy protein powders, you can enjoy the numerous benefits without a struggle.
Although dairy protein powders are healthy, plant based ones have more to offer in terms of nutrients and are less likely to cause allergies or digestive problems.
Last update on 2021-02-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API