Wheatgrass is the young grass of the wheat plant. It is a nutrient-rich grass which gives it a place in the list of superfoods.
This grass is often used to make dietary supplements. These could be in the form of tablets, capsules or powder form. Powders are preferred because of the wide variety of ways in which it can be incorporated into every day foods.
In this article we list 7 of the best organic wheatgrass powders and provide key details on each product.
We recommend Amazing Grass Green Superfood Organic Wheatgrass Powder. It gives you a lot more nutrients than just wheatgrass thanks to added fruits and vegetables.
Benefits of Organic Wheatgrass Powder
Like many other crops world over, there has been concern about health risks associated with chemicals used in conventional farming.
In the case of wheatgrass, such concerns are even greater because juices and shakes made are typically consumed daily.
What does ‘organic’ really mean?
Before we go into the benefits of wheatgrass powder made from organically grown wheatgrass, let’s see what the term ‘organic’ really means.
Although regulations vary from country to country, in the U.S, organically grown foods are grown without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. It also prohibits use of genetically modified seeds.
No synthetic inputs / chemicals
With the definition of organic produce in mind, it is clear that wheatgrass powder from organically grown wheatgrass contains no chemicals.
Negative effects of such chemicals depend on the extent and duration of exposure. They have been linked to a range of negative health effects ranging from mild allergies and rashes to neurotoxicity and chronic diseases like cancer.
In this case, it is grown in certified organic environments so you don’t have to worry about any of these negative effects.
The buzz about wheatgrass and its great benefits has been going on for years. It is probably not new to you. We know it is a superfood. It contains antioxidants, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
The list of nutrients it contains is as follows:
- Vitamin A,C, E, K and B complex
- 17 amino acids ( 8 of these are essential)
There is still a lot of debate as to whether organically grown foods are more nutritious than those grown using conventional methods. Research now confirms that organically grown crops have higher amounts of antioxidants. Considering that these are a key compound in wheatgrass, it is worth a second look when dealing with wheatgrass powders.
How do they end up with more antioxidants? The explanation given is that plants naturally produce these compounds to protect themselves from insects and diseases. Organic plants have no help from pesticides so they have to mount a stronger defense.
7 Best Organic Wheatgrass Powders comparison guide
7 Best Organic Wheatgrass Powders comparison overview
Amazing Grass Green Superfood Organic Wheatgrass Powder (+ 7 Super Greens)
This is a blended wheatgrass powder which gives you more than just wheatgrass. It has other ingredients (greens, fruits and vegetables) added to further raise its nutritional value.
Other ingredients include spinach, barley grass, spirulina, alfalfa, broccoli, carrot, beetroot, raspberry, pineapple, cherry and apple pectin fibre. All these added ingredients are also organic.
The manufacturer says you get 2 full servings of fruits and vegetables from this single product. One serving constitutes about 8 grams of powder. Simply mix one scoop into about 8 oz. of water, juice or other beverage for your wheatgrass power drink. It has 30 calories per serving.
This powder is 100% plant based, gluten free with no added sugar. It contains no GMO ingredients and is certified as organic by CCOF.
- Blended for added nutrients
- 100% vegan
- 3 servings of fruits and vegetable per serving
- No sugar
- Comparatively high calorie count
- PROMOTES HEALTHY DIGESTION: Our Greens Blend are thoughtfully crafted with a nutritious blend of alkalizing greens, antioxidants, fiber & pre and probiotics to...
- CLEAN AND GREEN: Made with ingredients you can trust, our Greens Blend are Certified Organic by CCOF, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Plant Based, Kosher and Non GMO.
- SUPPORTS IMMUNITY AND GUT HEALTH: Packed with 2 full servings of wholesome fruits, vegetables, vitamins & minerals in every scoop, our Greens Blend ensures you are...
- NATURAL ENERGY BOOST: Packed with superfoods, our Greens Blend provides that extra boost to your day. With added probiotics, our Greens Blend promote healthy gut...
Dr. Berge’s Raw Wheatgrass Juice Powder
This product from Dr. Berge’s Nutritionals is a juice powder made from raw wheatgrass. It is a non-GMO product and is totally gluten free. It boasts of 20 amino acids.
Being a juice powder, it is more concentrated than a powder. In this case, 1 teaspoon of the powder is equivalent to 14 shots of pure raw wheatgrass juice. This is equivalent to 1 tray of grass (10 inches by 20 inches)
It has a wider variety of trace minerals, compared to other wheatgrass powders. Reasons for this are around the fact that this wheatgrass is grown in Utah’s west desert. These are ancient sea beds whose soils are rich in the same minerals.
High concentrations minerals like iron and calcium offer good value for money but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing especially when dealing with such mineral dense supplements.
Our bodies have varying ability to filter such compounds. If they are not taken with requisite caution, you could end up with an iron or calcium overdose.
Like other juice powders, it is not as rich in fibre as powders. This product is certified as organic by CCOF.
- Highly concentrated
- Gluten free
- Has 20 amino acids
- High in trace minerals
- Low fibre count
- 𝗡𝗢𝗡-𝗚𝗠𝗢 & 𝗖𝗘𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗘𝗗 𝗢𝗥𝗚𝗔𝗡𝗜𝗖 - This proprietary blend of raw wheatgrass greens powder is massively...
- 𝗨𝗦𝗔 𝗚𝗠𝗣 𝗖𝗘𝗥𝗧𝗜𝗙𝗜𝗘𝗗 𝗠𝗔𝗡𝗨𝗙𝗔𝗖𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚 - Our state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities...
- 𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗥𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗦 - We're sorry to say it, but if you’re looking for cheap, you’re in the...
- 𝗪𝗛𝗬 𝗪𝗘’𝗥𝗘 𝗗𝗜𝗙𝗙𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗧 - Also known as The Knowledge Doc, Dr. Berg has spent most of his life researching and...
Micro Ingredients Organic Wheatgrass Powder
This powder comes from US grown wheatgrass.
What stands out most about this product, and how it is marketed is its purity. While some wheatgrass powders give you the option to have some fruit or other vegetable included in the powder, this one doesn’t. In fact the brand prides itself in the simplicity. This powder contains wheatgrass and wheatgrass only.
It is free of preservatives, artificial color, artificial flavoring, and has no soy. It doesn’t even have fillers which are often used in such powders to thicken the drink when it is mixed with water or juice.
It is a non-GMO product and USDA certification assures you that it is truly organic.
In terms of nutritional value, the brand name, which is Micro Ingredients tell you something about the product. There is a lot of emphasis on micronutrients. It is rich on minerals such as potassium, zinc, magnesium and calcium. It is also good source of immune vitamins like vitamins A, C, B2, B12 and biotin as well as antioxidants.
Calorie count is at 17.
It is worth noting that it comes in a fairly small pack compared to other similar products. It is packed in a resealable bag weighing slightly under 300 grams. Each serving is 3 grams.
The one flaw we found has to do with the resealable bag the powder is in. It doesn’t t reseal properly and this compromises the contents left in it after the first use.
- Pure wheatgrass powder
- Gluten free
- Rich micronutrients profile
- Resealable bag doesn’t reseal properly
- US Grown Organic Wheatgrass Superfood Powder 16 Ounce, 100% Whole-Leaf, Premium Wheat Grass Supplement Organic, Vegan Friendly.
- Rich in Fibers, Minerals (Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc Vitamin), Immune Vitamins (Vitamins A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Biotin), Protein,...
- Rich in Antioxidants, Which Provides Supports to Colon, Heart and Overall Well Being.
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Flavors, No Soy, No Fillers and No Gluten
Maju Superfood’s Organic Wheatgrass Juice Powder
This product has not been in them market as long as others on this list but it definitely gives them a run for their money.
Like Dr. Berge’s wheatgrass, this one is also grown in Utah. A key marketing point is that this wheatgrass is grown in volcanic soil only and is produced by local family farmers. Volcanic soil is known to produce mineral dense crops. Drying is done using a proprietary technology which ensures nutrients and enzymes are preserved.
You don’t get that cut-grass taste and the powder mixes into your beverage very easily. Mixing it in using a spoon is enough to give you a smooth blend. You don’t have to have a blender available to enjoy it as intended.
The serving size is one teaspoon which is equivalent to 1 teaspoon. A spoon is included to help you get an accurate amount each time. You get 8 calories per serving.
Wheatgrass is easy to use in smoothies and shakes but you can never exhaust the options. When you buy Maju Superfood’s wheatgrass juice powder, it comes with a free recipe e-book to give you even more ideas on how to use the powder.
- Mineral dense
- No cut-grass taste
- Mixes easily
- Comes with a free recipe e-book
- Low in fiber
- ✅ VOLCANIC SOIL ONLY: We pay attention to the details. Our wheatgrass is grown on volcanic mineral rich soil, & is dried using a proprietary technology that...
- ▽ EASY SPOON MIXING, NO CUT-GRASS TASTE: This is a juice powder, which is MUCH different than wheatgrass powder. No blender is required to get the taste of wheat...
- ✅ MAJU IS DIFFERENT: At Maju, our mission is to only sell the cleanest, responsibly sourced products. We carefully analyze each batch and ONLY sell products we use...
- ✅ FREE SUPERFOOD RECIPE eBOOK: Wheatgrass is super easy to use, but we'll send you recipes that you can also add our wheatgrass powder to.
Terrasoul Superfoods Wheatgrass Juice Powder
This is juice powder from Terrasoul Superfoods is 100% grown and packaged in the US. It comes with high concentrations of nutrients with a 25:1 concentration ratio.
It is densely rich on vitamin K, D, iron, calcium and potassium. It has 70% chlorophyll content which is impressively high.
The grass is dried under low temperatures which have been found to help keep the powder fresh.
You get 12 calories from each serving and the recommended serving size is 4 grams. This is about 2 teaspoons of the powder.
This is a non-GMO product which is also appropriate for vegans and vegan diets. Certification to confirm that it is truly organic is provided by the USDA.
Nut allergies and related regulations are quite strict in the US. In that regard, the manufacturer declares that this product is packed in a facility which handles tree nuts.
In terms of taste, this powder hasn’t managed to lose that earthy cut-grass taste. If you are one of those people who struggles to get past it, this juice powder may be difficult to swallow.
Another issue is in the packaging. The seal seems to be substandard so powder pours out easily. Some people say their packs arrived with lots of green powder all over.
- Nutrient dense
- 70% chlorophyll
- Dried at low temperatures
- Low in fiber
- Packaging problems
- Terrasoul Superfoods Wheat Grass Juice Powder, 5 Ounces
- 100% Certified Organic, Non-GMO, Non-Irradiated, Raw, Vegan
- Grown and Packaged in the USA
- Wheatgrass Juice Powder comes from the potent juice of an energy-rich grass that cleanses, detoxifies, nourishes, and heals
Sari Foods Organic Wheatgrass Powder
This is a premium powder from Sari Food Company. ‘Sari’ means ‘essence’ in Balinese. The company’s goal is to bring out the real essence of food to allow our bodies thrive as nature intended.
Like many other similar powders, it is made from wheatgrass grown in the US. This makes it a 100% local product. This grass is grown under strict USDA regulations thus assuring you of high overall quality.
It is rich in chlorophyll, phytonutrients, antioxidants as well as iron. Vitamins A, C and E feature prominently, making it a good choice for immunity building.
These are whole food based and naturally occurring nutrients so it is easier for the body to break them down and absorb them.
The grass is handpicked, air dried and milled the same day. This helps to ensure no nutrients are lost.
Unlike juice powders, this powder is fiber rich. The primary advantage of this is that it makes you feel fuller for longer thus helping in weight loss. Fiber also helps to smoothen the digestive process and prevents constipation.
Calories contained in one serving stand at 43 which is quite high for this kind of product. Each serving of 1 heaping teaspoon has 10 grams of powder.
- Nutrient rich
- Hand-picked and air dried
- Fiber rich
- High in calories
- NUTRITION PACKED GREEN SUPERFOOD: Our organic wheatgrass powder is full of the good stuff, from essential amino acids to fiber and iron. Add our USDA-certified...
- ALWAYS NATURAL, NEVER SYNTHETIC: Sari organic wheatgrass is sustainably-sourced and grown in the USA. We hand-pick, air dry, and gently mill our wheatgrass to...
- PACKED WITH FIBER: Our non-GMO green superfood powder is a complete, bioavailable, and vegan source of naturally occurring fiber. Since we retain the most fibrous...
- FEEL YOUR BEST WITH PLANT-BASED VITAMINS: Our wheatgrass super greens blend also contains a multitude of vitamins (including B complex and vitamins A, C, E), and...
Antler Farms New Zealand Organic Wheatgrass Powder
Wheatgrass used to make Antler Farms wheatgrass powder is a grown in the Canterbury plains of New Zealand. Here there is a balance of temperate, sunny and cool conditions which contribute to production of high quality wheatgrass. It also helps that it is outdoor grown in rich fertile soils.
Unlike tray grown wheatgrass, this one is grown over hundreds of days. The slow process is advantageous because it allows the grass to develop deep roots which then enable the plant absorb more nutrients from the soil.
Harvesting is done at the peak of potency when the leaves are deep green. The first benefit of this is high chlorophyll levels which boost the plant’s overall nutritional value. It is also rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, natural enzymes and fiber.
This powder is produced through a process of cold pressing where the grass is dehydrated at low temperatures in order to retain as many nutrients as possible.
- Outdoor grown
- Long growth period
- Fiber rich
- Very rich in chlorophyll
- Time consuming growth process
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC - Antler Farms New Zealand Wheat Grass is 100% pure, certified organic. We have a proven system for producing the highest quality organic...
- OUTDOOR GROWN - Our wheatgrass is grown outdoors in rich, fertile soil with natural sunlight and fresh water over a period of hundreds of days. This slow growth...
- CONCENTRATED NUTRITION - Antler Farms New Zealand Wheat Grass is harvested at the peak of potency to produce a deep green, nutrient-rich wheatgrass packed with...
- COLD PROCESSED - Our wheatgrass is dehydrated at a low temperature, keeping our product completely bioavailable. Our cold processing ensures that the nutrients and...
Factors to consider when buying organic wheatgrass powder
Pure or Blend
Some consumers want to have their wheatgrass in its purest form with nothing at all added to it. There are some powders in the market to cater for this group.
Other consumers would like to have their wheatgrass powder heaped with even more nutrients. For them, there are blended wheatgrass powders.
Some blended wheatgrass powders include powders from vegetables such as spinach, broccoli or carrot. Others contain powders from dried fruits such as berries, pineapple or apple. Adding fruit also helps to improve taste.
Other ingredients which could be included in such blends are digestive enzymes and probiotics.
The result is an even more nutrient- rich powder.
Powder or Juice Powder
What is the difference between wheatgrass powder and juice powder? The powder is made directly from the raw plant. Juice powder is made from the juice of the plant.
Does it matter which one you take? Yes, because wheatgrass powder and juice powder have distinctly different nutritional profiles.
The powder can have almost 4 times the fiber in the juice powder. Higher fiber content is because they retain some of the roughage from the plant. The juice powder typically contains more (sometimes significantly so) amounts of vitamins and other nutrients compared to wheatgrass powder.
Studies show that wheatgrass juice powder often has more vitamin A and E, as much as 11 times more calcium and almost twice the iron. It also has 4 times as much chlorophyll and up to 2 times more superoxide dismutase.
Calorie count in wheatgrass powders are generally low. The reason you still want to check the product’s calorie content is because it may be raised by added ingredients like sugars. You want to make sure you are getting as natural a product as possible with minimal calories.
When it comes to gluten, wheatgrass and its powders can be tricky.
These powders are made purely from the grass and none of the gluten containing seeds of the wheatgrass plant. It should, technically be considered gluten free. People with celiac disease or gluten intolerance should however be cautious when using wheatgrass powders.
Why so? Wheatgrass can be contaminated during harvesting and therefore pose a threat to people with gluten sensitives.
If you have to have wheatgrass powder, look for products which specifically indicate that the product is gluten free. This gives you an assurance that the manufacturer had these concerns in mind and therefore observed caution to prevent gluten contamination in the harvesting process.
The need for a switch to organically produced wheatgrass powders cannot be over emphasized. Although conventionally grown crops (using chemical pesticides and fertilizers) are a general cause for concern, there should be even greater concern when it comes to crops used to make dietary supplements.
First because these supplements are recommended for daily consumption. Even if only small amounts of harmful chemicals are in the supplement, the cumulative effect is worse due to frequency of consumption.
Secondly, dietary supplements are often used by people battling with some health issue. They don’t need problems linked to farming chemicals added to their health challenges.
Last update on 2021-12-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API