As a fitness enthusiast, whey protein has made a noticeable difference in my fitness routine.
When I started my fitness journey, two of my biggest issues were weight loss and muscle retention.
Since I discovered whey protein, I am proud to say I dropped a couple of pounds, and I can now build muscles through strength training.
However, one of my biggest issues with whey proteins initially was with the sugar and artificial sweeteners.
I found that sweetened whey proteins made it harder for me to lose weight. They also tasted weird and it was hard to incorporate into smoothies that included foods with natural sweeteners like fruit.
Sugar free whey protein powder changed the game for me; it easy to incorporate into smoothies and helps with weight loss especially if you want to cut down on sugar.
With the countless options available in the market, it can be difficult to find the right products whether you are a first time buyer or not.
This is why we have rounded up 6 of the best Sugar Free Whey Protein Powders in this article. We look at Sugar free whey protein powders for users concerned about high sugar content in these products. We recommend the TGS protein powder because it is an all-natural formulation.
First, get to know the basics of whey protein powder
There are different kinds of protein powders which fall into 2 broad categories. Those from plants (such as soybeans, peas and hemp) and those derived from animal products such as eggs or milk.
Milk is made of 2 proteins: whey and casein. Whey protein powder is the product of the latter protein, dried and packaged in powder form.
Whey protein powder is commonly associated with athletes and body building. It is used alongside resistance training to promote the growth of muscle mass and improve strength. It could also be used as an energy booster during workouts.
Another use is for medical purposes. In this case it is used to promote weight gain in people who have trouble gaining weight and keeping it on. It is also effective in reversing weight loss in people living with HIV/AIDS.
6 Best Sugar Free Whey Protein Powders – comparison table
Benefits of Sugar Free Whey Protein Powder
One of the biggest risk associated with whey protein powders is added sugar. Some have only a little added sugar but others have as much as 23 grams per scoop. With such high sugar content, you end up with a protein shake with more than 1200 calories.
This essentially reverses progress in weight loss and causes an unhealthy spike in blood sugars.
Instead of checking labels to make sure sugar content is low, many people are now opting for whey protein powders with zero sugar content. These are some of the benefits.
Here we look at the benefits of sugar free whey powder from the eyes of a diabetic. It is for them that the sugar-free nature of protein powder is so crucial.
Rich in Amino Acid L-Cysteine
Accumulation of free radicals is one of the main causes of insulin resistance (cause of type 2 diabetes). L – cysteine is used to synthesize glutathione which is a key antioxidant in our bodies.
This amino acid therefore helps with diabetes by neutralizing free radicals and causing more efficient regulation of blood sugar.
Promotes secretion of insulin
Type 2 diabetes is caused by the body’s inability to produce sufficient insulin.
When added to meals, whey protein causes increased insulin production. The result is reduced blood sugar.
Obesity and overeating have been linked to diabetes due to extremely high sugar intake.
Whey protein makes you feel full for longer than other foods. This makes you eat less and eventually lose weight. If you were overweight, you find that the pounds seem to drop off with minimal effort.
6 Best Sugar Free Whey Protein Powders
TGS, the company behind this supplement prides itself for going against the current of other protein supplement products in the market. This is an all-natural product. The list of ingredients it doesn’t have is longer than the one indicating what it does have.
Most people are concerned about sugar so we can confirm that it has no sugar. It is also free of gluten, soy, preservatives, artificial flavors and artificial colors. It does contain non-GMO sunflower lecithin which helps your body absorb the protein.
From each scoop you get 25 grams of under natured protein and 9 essential amino acids. It is good for weight loss because fat levels are uniquely low. There are only 2 grams of fat and 2 grams of natural sugars. With 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAA’, this protein is a good choice for muscle recovery after a workout and building lean muscle.
If you intend to use it while on a diet, it works well with even strict carb diets like keto.
- All natural formula
- 25 grams of protein per serving
- Low on calories
- Low fat content
- Taste could be better
- PURE WHEY, ONLY 2 INGREDIENTS: 25g of protein - NO added sugars, artificial sweeteners, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, additives or preservatives. Soy free,...
- NO BAD AFTERTASTE, NOT GRITTY, GRAINY: Smooth, adds great consistency to smoothies. Mixes well. No clumps in a shaker cup. Each scoop contains 25 grams of protein,...
- LOW CARB, KETO & VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY: For MEN and WOMEN from fitness enthusiasts to bodybuilders looking to improve their overall fitness, build & maintain lean...
- ADD PROTEIN TO FOOD, COOKING & BAKING: Flavorless, Unsweetened whey is great for adding to oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, soup, pancakes, breads, cookies, protein bars,...
Milk used to produce this whey is from 100% grass-fed cows. You get 20 grams of protein and it has only 99 calories.
It is free of artificial hormones and has no GMO ingredients.
If you are one of many users who look into amino acids, you will be glad to know this powder is fortified with 20 naturally occurring amino acids which work together to enhance energy, strengthen bones and promote lean muscle growth.
Cold-processing and chemical free filtration removes most of the lactose making the end product 99% lactose free. This makes it easily digestible and ideal for people with lactose intolerance.
Proteins are conveniently micronized so it mixes into your beverage quit easily. Simply add 1 scoop into water or other beverage and stir, shake or blend lightly for a smooth blend.
It is sugar free, only sweetened with Rebiana, a derivative of stevia leaf extract.
You can use this whey powder while on just about any diet regiment. It can be used when on keto, paleo, veggie and vegan.
If there is one thing I could change in this product it is the strange after taste. It may not be an issue for some people but I needed cinnamon to mask it.
- 20g protein / 99 calories
- Lactose free, gluten free and soy free
- After taste
- MEAL REPLACEMENT AND WORKOUT SHAKE IN ONE - Rich and creamy protein powder that makes highly nutritious shakes and boosts your smoothies. A healthy anytime meal...
- SUPPORTS A HEALTHY IMMUNE SYSTEM - Clean-sourced high-quality protein with naturally occurring amino acids that help boost your metabolism, support muscle growth,...
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS - For best results, supplement your diet with this delicious high protein drink. It supports healthy weight loss and works with most...
- COMPLETE AMINO ACID PROFILE Fortified with 20 naturally occurring amino acids from whey protein. This nutrient packed whey protein blend supports a healthy diet,...
This is a gluten free, isolate powder. Protein content stands at 20 grams which comes with 99 calories. It is also lactose-free making it a good option lactose intolerant users.
If you are looking to lose weight, this is a good option as it has only 1 gram of carbs and no fat content. On top of that you get 4.4 grams of BCAAs which strike a balance between weight loss and muscle building.
Convenience is one of this product’s big selling points. Unlike other protein powders which you need to scoop out of the container and pour into a bottle, this one is marketed as a no-mess product.
It comes wrapped in a dissolvable, food grade film, each containing a single serving. All you need to do is toss the pack into water or other beverage in a shaker bottle and shake. This comes in very handy when you need to have your protein drink on the go because you don’t have to carry a can of powder.
Fast abortion makes it good for post-workout recovery but is also recommended for uses looking to build lean muscle.
It is keto friendly thanks to low carb content and tastes good so you may not notice that it is totally sugar free. In terms of flavors, you can get a vanilla pack, chocolate pack or a vanilla and chocolate combo pack.
Mixability is one area that could do with some improvement. The pack says you need 15 to 20 shakes after putting it into a liquid. It actually requires a lot more than that to get it completely dissolved.
- 20 grams of protein per serving and 90 calories
- Free of sugar, fat, lactose and gluten
- Low carbs
- Requires a lot of shaking/stirring before it dissolves fully
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - 20G Protein - 90 Calories - 1G Carbs - 0G Fat - 0G Sugar - Lactose FREE - Gluten FREE. Get our top of the line fast absorbing, lean muscle...
- AVOID HASSLE: Perfect for On The-Go, Traveling, or at the Gym. Enjoy fresh, high quality, clump-free protein that delivers first rate efficacy anytime, anywhere.
- PROTEIN PACKED: At VADE Nutrition we care about every ingredient we put into our bodies. Using only state of the art advanced Whey Isolate we are able to pack 20...
- TOP-OF-THE-LINE PROTEIN: Using propriety triple-filtration processes that concentrate native whey proteins in a highly purified form, our protein contains the full...
Some say the fewer ingredients a protein powder has the better. Although we don’t entirely subscribe to this opinion, if you do, this Isopure product will catch your eye.
It has only 2 ingredients. That is 100% whey protein isolate and soy lecithin. You get 25 grams of protein per serving which comes with 100 calories.
Lecithin is an emulsifier (blending agent) which helps to make the powder mix well with the liquid used. Soy lecithin really does its job. If you shake it and then leave it unshaken for a few minutes, powder doesn’t settle at the bottom.
Lecithin also acts as a preservative to increase the product’s shelf-life.
Protein powders generally have low carbohydrate and fat levels but this one tops the list in that department. At zero percent carbs and no fat content at all, it is a good protein option for weight watchers.
It is also gluten free, lactose free and contains no GMO ingredients. A look at the nutrition facts tells you it is relatively high in vitamins and minerals.
One drawback has to do with soy content. Although there are many health benefits to be enjoyed form soy, some people react to it. Common side effects include bloating, constipation and nausea. Some allergic reactions include itching and a rash.
- Only 2 ingredients
- 25 grams of protein
- Zero cabs and zero fat
- Gluten free and lactose free
- Contains soy
- UNFLAVORED POWDER – one scoop easily mixes in your favorite beverage or food for a high-protein treat
- 2 INGREDIENT PROFILE –profile consisting of only whey protein isolate and soy lecithin (to help create a creamy texture)
- 100% WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE – a high-quality protein source providing 25g per serving to support muscle
- ZERO CARBS, FAT, SUGAR – helps For those watching their calorie intakes.
Legion’s Whey Plus protein powder is made from 100% whey protein isolate.
The milk used to make this whey comes from small dairy farms in Ireland which pride themselves in grass fed cows. How much grass makes them grass fed? Well, these ones spend at least 95% of the year outside.
It is good for weight loss because it contains only 2 grams of carbs and zero percent fat content. Legion doesn’t contain any GMO ingredients, has no hormones, antibiotics, fillers of artificial food dyes.
As far as flavoring goes, Legion Whey Plus protein powder is flavored but it is done using natural flavors. In fact there is a fairly wide selection of flavors, including some unique flavors you haven’t seen in many other similar products.
You can get this protein powder in vanilla flavor, mint chocolate, mocha cappuccino or salty caramel. Unique flavors include birthday cake, chocolate peanut butter and fruity cereal. If you want none of these flavors and prefer the powder as natural as it comes, there is an unflavored option.
It contains soy so if you suffer from soy allergies, this may not be the best protein powder for you.
- 22 grams protein
- Low in calories
- 2 grams carbs, 0 grams fat
- 5.6 grams BCAAs
- Contains soy
- Contains soy lecithin
- THE CLEANEST AND PUREST FORM OF WHEY PROTEIN POWDER - WHEY+ is 100% whey protein isolate, which is 90%+ protein by weight, has almost no fat or carbs, and contains...
- MADE WITH MILK FROM SMALL IRISH DAIRY FARMS - WHEY+ is made from exceptionally high-quality milk from small dairy farms in Ireland, which produce some of the...
- NO ARTIFICIAL JUNK - WHEY+ is 100% naturally sweetened and flavored and contains no GMOs, hormones, antibiotics, artificial food dyes, fillers, or other unnecessary...
- THE MAN BEHIND THE BRAND - Mike Mathews is an international bestselling fitness author with over a million books sold, and the co-founder of Muscle for Life and...
Platinum Hydrowhey from Optimum Nutrition contains 100% hydrolyzed whey protein isolate. What exactly is hydrolyzed whey? Hydrolyzing is a process which breaks down the protein into smaller pieces. This helps to speed up absorption and makes it easier for the body to digest.
A single serving gives you 30 grams of protein which come with 140 calories. It has low fat and carbohydrate content, with 3 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fat.
Some protein powders are almost impossible to mix in a glass because they just don’t blend in completely. This whey has that taken care of. You can mix it in a glass and stir it with a spoon to achieve satisfactory blending.
There are seven flavors to choose from including overdrive chocolate mint, chocolate peanut butter, supercharged strawberry, turbo chocolate, velocity vanilla and red velvet cake.
- Hydrolyzed for better abortion
- 30 grams of protein
- 8.8 grams of BCAAs
- Low in fat and carbs
- Contains soy
- ON'S MOST ADVANCED WHEY - exceeding all expectations (Packaging May Vary)
- FASTER DELIVERY – advanced hydrolyzed whey protein isolates
- 30G ULTRA-PURE PROTEIN PER SERVING – supports your muscle-building goals
- 15.5G NATURALLY OCCURRING & ADDED EAAs – supports muscle recovery and growth
Factors to Consider When Buying Sugar Free Whey Protein Powder
Protein content and individual protein need
Make sure you are not having too much or too little protein in your whey protein shakes.
The average amount of protein you need depends on the purpose for which you are taking it. If you are looking to build muscle, you need more than someone looking to boost energy levels after regular workouts.
For medical reasons, your physician should guide you on how much you need.
To calculate how many grams of protein you consume, check the label to find out the exact number of grams per scoop and multiply it by the number of scoops you use.
Protein is the primary ingredient in your whey powder. Assuming you have already established its protein content, and confirmed that it contains no sugar, here are other typical ingredients to think about.
Flavoring Agents: These may be listed as specific ingredients or more vaguely on the label as artificial or natural flavoring. These are generally safe when within required levels but if you are allergic to any of them, you could have a negative reaction.
Thickening Agents: These are included in protein powders to add bulk. Common thickening agents are dextrins, psyllium husk, inulin or xanthan gum. Like flavoring agents, they are generally considered safe in small quantities so seeing them on the label shouldn’t be of concern.
Emulsifiers: Protein from whole foods tends to clump together and this can make it difficult to mix into a liquid like milk or water. They are added to give it that characteristic creamy feel. Common emulsifiers include lecithins, silicon dioxide and carboxymethylcellulose.
There are 3 types of whey protein powders: concentrates, isolates and hydrolysates. The differences are based on the processing method used and properties of the resultant product.
Whey concentrates: Protein is extracted from the whey using enzymes or high heat and acid. They are the least processed and can have anywhere between 35% and 80% protein. The remaining percentage is carbohydrate or fat content.
Concentrate is the cheapest type of whey powder.
Whey isolates: These go through more filtration than concentrates. The result is reduced fat and carbohydrates leaving more of protein content. Less fat and carbs makes them easier for the body to digest. Isolates are therefore a better option for users looking to limit carbohydrate and fat intake.
Isolate whey powder is also better for people with lactose intolerance because the extra processing removes most of the lactose.
Whey hydrolysates: These go through even more processing than isolates. It breaks down protein chains even further to produce shorter peptides.
Hydrolysates are digested and absorbed faster. They are marketed to people who drink protein shakes around their workouts with the aim of building muscle.
Whey protein powders have been part of fitness regiments and weight loss plans for years. It is only in recent years that users are realizing the dangers of excess sugar in their diet. Considering the high frequency with which protein shakes and drinks are consumed, too much sugar in a single serving can translate to hundreds of extra calories. Not to mention unhealthy spikes in blood sugar levels.
With these sugar free options you get to enjoy all the benefits of a regular whey protein powder without concerns about excessive sugar. They are especially useful for diabetics as they help in management of blood sugar.
Last update on 2021-12-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API